Monday, May 5, 2014

My Weekly Parchment

         Every Monday for the past couple of weeks I have written my grandparents a letter using my ink well and feather on parchment paper. They told me it meant more to them than just giving them a quick phone call that lasts 5 minutes once a week, because have you ever written a letter using a quill? It is terribly difficult. I don't understand how James Madison wrote the Constitution of the United States of America like that. I wrote one paragraph and it was so difficult to do!
           I have ink stains all over my hands. I am so glad I am not a leftie I would die. All of the ink on that paper would have smeared and all my hard work would have been killed. ALL OF IT DEAD. Do you know how upsetting that would be? At least I am not part of the 10% of people in the world who would have to like hold their hand uncomfortably to try not to smug the ink. My heart goes out to all lefties everywhere. 
          Sorry I got a bit off track back to what I was saying, "The Weekly Parchment" is what I label to return address as on my grandparent's letters that I send them and I really enjoy sitting down and writing letters. Even though my handwriting isn't too beautiful especially when writing with the quill I am slowly improving which is nice. I was writing earlier and I just wanted to like throw the quill across the paper, because INK SPOTS EVERYWHERE. It killed me. So bad. so bad. so bad. so bad....
          Everytime I write a letter I lay out paper on the table like you would do when painting, because if I don't I will stain the surface I am writing on.... not like that has happened to me before or anything... *coughs*. 

          I do genuinely enjoy writing letters to people more than texting them or giving them a phone call, because it feels more important. Someone sat down for 20 or 30 minutes to write to you, I just personally wish it would come back. I think it would be great if people started writing letters to people weekly. If you read this try to start writing letters. That doesn't mean never text or call someone obviously, what I mean is if you want to call someone just to check in write them and tell them in the letter to write you back. Trust me there is nothing like the anticipation of waiting for a letter to be delivered to you.  

2 comments:

  1. This was so nice! I agree about how people should write letters to each other, and I think it's extremely nice you write to your grandparents. I actually had this idea a couple months ago, but since I have no one to write to, I went onto Quotev (one of my favorite websites) and posted "Would anyone like to be my 'pen pal' via email?" and some of my friends on there answered! Turns out that both of them are actually classmates/good friends in India, which is quite cool.
    I've learnt some things about India from them and that's neat, along with being exactly what I wanted to get out of the whole "pen pal" thing, which is learning about places elsewhere in the world than my little hometown-area:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really cool! I have always wanted to do a pen-pal thing via snail mail, but since my mail box is at my home that would be giving my address to complete strangers. So, email seems like a great alternative to snail mail.

      Delete